Thursday, October 21, 2010

Power Strip Faith

Those who know me best know that I've done some pretty silly things in my life. But none has been more silly than the time I accidentally plugged the power strip into itself.

I don't quite know how it happened, but amid the number of cords I was trying to plug in, I somehow got the power strip plug into my hand and plugged the power strip into itself. Then, of course, I couldn't figure out how come none of the things I'd plugged into the power strip would work. It simply didn't make sense for the longest time. Not until I noticed that I'd plugged the power strip into itself. Silly me!!

It's "silly me" as well when I try to plug into my own power and resources instead of plugging into the real source of Power, the Holy Spirit. It's "silly me" all over again when I plug into my own wisdom and goals, rather than plugging into the real Widsom and the guidance of the One who knows the future.

You see, our basic human tendency is to try to rely on ourselves to supply our power. Our human tendency is to "do it myself." with the attitude of a two year old. Our basic human tendency is to get confused about how we access the Power of God.

Now, when I'm faced with a difficult situation, now when I want to think that God has lost control or that God is incompetent, I stop to make sure that I'm "plugged in" properly--plugged in through the Spirit of God to the one eternal and sustainable power source, my Creator and Eternal provider and protector.

Actually by doing so, I avoid quite a number of "silly me" situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment