Monday, January 31, 2011

Thoughts from Sailing:

During our recent vacation, Teresa and I, along with her brother and sister-in-law, were doing some sailing in the Virgin Islands. In so doing we decided to tackle something new – making a bit of an “open water” passage to the island of Anegada. By no means is this passage like crossing the Atlantic, but it is a passage that takes a couple of hours or so during which one is guided only by the compass, with no visible landmarks ahead. (You see, Anegada’s highest land point is only 13 ft above sea level so you can’t see the island until you’re almost there.) Sailing to Anegada is an exercise in trusting the compass, an exercise in being guided by a “truth” that is out of one’s personal control. Along the way, one can encounter unexpected squalls and gusts, ocean surge and rogue waves. It is a time to trust and have faith.

The Bible is full of images that are related to the sea, to storms and open seas. The calming of the storm by Jesus (Mark 4: 35 – 41) is probably the most well known (and it is the theme of our Welcome Center Stained Glass window).

Beyond the Bible, my attention was also drawn to a couple of song choruses that were part of our worship the weekend we returned from our sailing adventures:

“Your Love Never Fails” by Chris Quilala

Chorus:
You stay the same through the ages
Your love never changes
There may be pain in the night but joy comes in the morning

And when the oceans rage
I don't have to be afraid
Because I know that You love me
Your love never fails

Verse:
The wind is strong and the water's deep
But I'm not alone in these open seas
Cause Your love never fails

The chasm is far too wide
I never thought I'd reach the other side
But Your love never fails


“You Never Let Go” by Matt Redman

Verse:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won't turn back
I know you are near

And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

Chorus:
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

I share this to tell you, that an “open water” sailing adventure opened my spirit to ponder in a new and different way God’s presence, love and care for me – and for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment