Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Car Wash and Forgiveness

I got my car washed the other day. Yes, I did find a car under the crud and guck that had accumulated over the last couple of months. Yes, I did remember what the color of my car was (but it is a bit harder to find it in the parking lot now).

As I was riding through the car wash, I got to thinking about my daily life and how easy it is to collect grit and grime, crud and guck. I'm talking about the emotional and spiritual stuff that builds up. I'm talking about the things we decide to carry with us, even though we don't need to. I'm talking about falling short of God's glory and sin.

As the rinse waters washed over the car, I imagined again my baptism. I imagined God's "life wash" for me won in the death and resurrection of Jesus. I imagined all the stuff I'd collected over the last while being rinsed away by the love and power of Jesus.

I don't know if I came out as "shinny" as my car. But I know I had my spirit back and felt the loving glow of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment