Monday, April 19, 2010

Honoring God's Wishes and Love

When I was handed the envelop, the individual, who I hadn't seen in quite some time, said, "This is just between you and me." Then rephrased the statement to "Actually, somehow this is just between you and God."
I didn't quite know what to make of it. I wasn't aware that anything particular had been going on between God and me, but apparently I hadn't looked deep enough.
Later, when I opened the envelope, there were two slips of paper. On one, a torn 3x5 card, was a hand written note that said, "When God tells us his desires it brings great joy to be apart (sic) of them. Love, God's servant." The other slip of paper contained expressions encouragement with the notation, "In honor of God's wishes and love."
Tears filled my eyes. I began to understand what might be up between God and me. The encouragement was timely and the words with the encouragement were even more timely. I felt like I was in one of those old aftershave commercials, "Thanks! I needed that." Because, you see, I did need, on a deeper unconscious level, these timely words and signs of God's grace.
I needed them because, you see, they are full of so much truth. When we are in line with God's desires -- in our home, in our workplace, in our family and in our church, community, nation and world -- it brings great joy to be a partner with God. It brings great joy to know that somehow we're on the right track. It honors God when we honor God's love in our midst.
But we don't always recognize when we are in line with God's desires. We get distracted by worldly values and priorities. We get discouraged by what we see on the surface. We are so caught up with the small things that we miss the bigger picture.
It is then that the messages of God come through the faith of others. Sometimes, God reaches out when we are unaware of a deep need to work some magic in our spirit, to calm a the longings of our spirit or to affirm our commitments and faith. And when that happens, indeed it is actually between us and God -- no matter who the human messenger might be.
Thanks to the one known simply as "God's servant."
Thanks to anyone who is "God's servants" in the lives of others.
And, thanks be to God for knowing and taking care of the stuff that is just between us and Him!

1 comment:

  1. And now, because you shared this, you, too, have helped encourage another, me, who happens to be in need of a little encouragement at the moment. Thank you for paying it forward.

    ReplyDelete