Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Crosses in the Tree

I found myself standing in the chapel of Morning Star looking out at one of the large pine trees. I wasn't looking for or at anything in particular. But suddenly it struck me. The ends of several of the branches had a cross on them. I looked more closely. Many branches had a cross at the end of the branch. The cross. Our salvation. The cross once made of a tree. A tree full of crosses.

I know that upon closer examination I really wouldn't find crosses at the end of the branches. I'd find an arrangement of new growth, probably 5 or 6 new "spears". But from the vantage point I had, the branches were aligned so that I saw crosses.

Now, I don't want to put any particular significance to what I saw. It was just a sense of my salvation and the presence of God in a simple place and in a simple way. For the moment in which I stood there, it was a miracle.

You see, God doesn't always become evident in the dramatic, the over whelming or the newsworthy. God more often becomes evident in the simple things. God often is revealed in the unexpectedly mundane things of life. And that's a miracle too.

No comments:

Post a Comment