Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Power of a Smile

Teresa and I went to visit our Dads yesterday. During our time with my Dad, he was talking about how few people say good morning at his assisted living residence. Even though he is legally blind, he is aware of some of the "sour" attitude among the 25 or so people that he lives with.

My Dad's attitude is far from sour. Every morning on his walk, he smiles and says "Good Morning" to everyone he meets. Same is true the rest of the day too -- though the greeting changes depending on the time of day.

As I was driving home I got to reflecting on this thing of smiling and saying "Good Morning." Specifically, I got to thinking about my morning bike rides of late when I greet those I meet along the trail/sidewalk. Many are sour and glum and give nary a glance my way. Others are bright and bubbly with with a hearty greeting or perhaps even a wave of the hand. Never-the-less, I greet each one with some sort of a verbal greeting.

My reflection lead me to an interesting insight. That is that my greetings and smile are at least as important for me as for the other. My smiles and my greetings have a tendency to change my perspective and attitude. They release warm feelings. They hook up great chemistry. They plant in me a wonderful outlook for the day. Even when I'm not feeling so positive (remember I'm not really a morning person) in the morning, my smile and greetings perk me up and give me positive feelings. I suspect some good things happen for the other too, I know they do for me when the other gives a hearty good morning greeting.

So, I think, it is no coincidence that my Dad's attitude is what it is. He starts his day with smiles and "Good Mornings" to all around. Maybe it is no coincidence that his home mates are more dour and glum -- they don't seem to warm up to those smiles and "Good Mornings." Maybe it is no coincidence that my feelings and attitudes change when I offer those warm greetings with a smile.

So, I'm thinking, more smiles. More "Good Mornings". Not so much because the other person needs them, but because I need them.

Blessings along your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment