Friday, April 8, 2011

In Memory of Eleanor

A couple of decades ago, I was privileged to become acquainted with Eleanor. Eleanor was a widow, in her 80’s. Every time I went to visit I would notice that she had a hardbound copy of “Daily Guideposts” on her side table, right beside her Bible. As we got to know each other, I asked her about the “Daily Guideposts” books. It turned out that each year Eleanor would receive a copy of the year’s “Daily Guideposts”. It was a gift from one of her grand children. And every day she would use her devotional time to read her Bible and reflect on the devotion for the day. When she pointed to her bookshelf, there in a neat row was the whole collection, about 10 years worth, of “Daily Guideposts.” Each had a special marker she had knit or crocheted for the year. Some also had bookmakers created by her grand children.

After Eleanor died, I stopped by the house to visit the family. Somehow they had gotten wind of my admiration for Eleanor’s devotion time with “Daily Guideposts”. They had the whole collection packed neatly in a box. They insisted that I should have them for my library.

I still have them. I still used them. Each year I find the one that fits the current calendar—that is January 1 is on the right day of the week (it makes it easier for me to stay on track that way) – this year it is “Daily Guideposts 1994, I pull it out and follow Eleanor’s discipline for my devotional time. And each year, I get to enjoy the wonderful bookmarks -- this year it is a white cross, made with a soft “sparkly” yarn.

Each year I give thanks for the legacy that Eleanor has passed along to me.

Furthermore, each year I marvel that the devotions are timely as every, just as though the whole book was written just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment