Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Shining Face of Jesus!

For those who know the Morning Star Church building, you know we have a floor to gable stained glass window on our western exposure. Central to this window the figure of Jesus walking on the water with the Disciple Peter just about ready to sink.

This time of the year, about 7:00 p.m. (give or take a little) the setting sun, when I’m standing at the altar for the special worship services of the season, is in just the right position to shine into my face directly through the face of Jesus.

Sometimes, I have to tell you, this image and moment is so moving that it leaves me speechless. It is the loving, caring face of Jesus shining into my face with eyes of love, a smile of un-conditional acceptance and a sense of pure delight in me. It is one of the most uplifting and affirming feelings I could ever hope to have.

This moment takes on a added significance when I relate it to the benediction, “may the Lord bless you and keep you, ... may his face shine upon you and give you peace.” You know the old words were “lift up his countenance upon you.” A “countenance” is something like the calm appearance of an accepting, loving face.

You see, in these moments of worship, that’s just what I get. It is just what I often need. It is the face of Jesus shining on me to give me His peace, His peace which passes all understanding and gives me hope.

Sometime this week, you may want to take a little walk up to the place where I usually stand and catch a glimpse of the shining face of Jesus. I know you’ll be blessed. And I won’t mind having you there enjoying what I enjoy!

May God’s face shine peace on you in these days leading up to Easter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment