Monday, November 28, 2011

"Advent Thoughts"

I just came in from doing some final leaf raking before the final “Yard Waste” pick up day for the season. As I wrapped up the project it was becoming rather dark and quiet in our neighborhood. Things felt empty and barren. It felt that way because it was that way: dark, silent, empty.

Entering the house there was a different feeling. A fullness illuminated by some electric candles (boy are they fun) and the lamp. There were the sounds of people working and the fullness of energy, the energy of life warmed by the protection of four sound walls and a bit of furnace energy.

And, I noticed, the chill on my nose and ears was all the more evident in the warmth of the inside heat. The contrast drew me to appreciate the warmth, the light, the sounds and the energy all the more.

Advent began yesterday. Advent, this strange “churchy” time before Christmas that happens to fall during some of the darkest, chilliest and quietest (in the sense of nature’s winter quiet) days of the year. This Advent is as “long” as Advent can be – four full weeks (not just four Sundays). This Advent, like all Advents, will quickly get busier, more packed, brighter and louder as things gear up before Christmas.

But, what I’m thinking and feeling is that before Christmas I need the emptiness, the darkness and the silence. I need my senses to be ready for the light of Christ and the sounds and fullness of Christmas. I need my senses to be fully ready to experience the Christ anew and in experiencing the Christ to experience that in Him I am being redeemed, recreated, renamed, and reborn.

Tonight I’m thankful for the darkness, silence and stillness that open my senses to deeper awareness of and thankfulness for the wonders of God become flesh in a little baby, Jesus.

May God bless you in this Advent time.

Thanks for dropping by “Sketchings ... “. If you have a favorite Advent tradition or Advent reflection, you are invited to share it in the “comments” section.

No comments:

Post a Comment